Thread: Tyre pressures ???

Default Tyre pressures ???

Being a 70's sort of person I am surprised at the recomended tyre pressures.. I am a new owner of a 2011 335i convertible and the tyre pressure on the car recomend around 40 psi!! is this correct or am I old school???

Sounds right. Today's cars are significantly heavier than cars 20 yrs ago. Most luxury cars today are fitted with low aspect ratio tyres (40, 45) so there isn't as much air in them hence the need higher pressure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

40 sounds high... Are they run flats?

Just for info sake - the tyre pressure needed if you have the correct size on the car is found in the drivers door seal. The "max tyre pressure" found on sidewall is the max for that tyre.
    If the tyre says 60 psi and the vehicle says 42 psi. You should adhere to the vehicle spec first.

Thanks

Here's a query on this "Tyre pressure" subject.
    I had run-flats originally on my 120i, For the last twelve months I've been running "Non-Run-Flats".
    Running with the Runflats at 36-38 psi was murder! (no info on door)
    After the change over I went down to 34 psi.... and have enjoyed the ride and the handling!

Back in the old days it was 24-26psi max.
    RegardZ
    Last edited by GarnZ; 30th April 2016 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

yeah, all a bit strange.. I've got a S5 now, and the tyre pressures are super high and quite different between front and back (by 6 psi)

Mine is a 323i 19" run flat tyres. The card on the vehicle provides a range for front and rear. The max for front is 42 and rear is 48. I set the pressure at mid point of the range.