Thread: Which BMW should I buy

Default Which BMW should I buy

Hi I love all BMW however should I go for a X5, 5 series sedan. We are a family of 4, which BMW is made in Germany? How reliable are they and the cost of maintaining one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

all depends on your budget mate.
    Are you looking to towing, and if so, often? If not, then I personally like the wagons as they are fantastic and drive more like a car if you are own your own most of the time.
    X5's are also great, you are elevated and king of the road, but the corning is not as 'special' as the 5 series..

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    all depends on your budget mate.
    Are you looking to towing, and if so, often? If not, then I personally like the wagons as they are fantastic and drive more like a car if you are own your own most of the time.
    X5's are also great, you are elevated and king of the road, but the corning is not as 'special' as the 5 series..
    I have heard a lot of negative comments on owning and running costs of a BMW or German/European cars. I have a territory and donít mind the X5 Iíve never driven one, I would prefer a diesel though if any. How reliable are they these days, does everything cost a lot of money to to repair? Thanks in advance

Thanks

Compared to a local car (territory), yes, German cars will cost more to repair... Same as a toyota etc, they will be cheaper to service/repair than any German mark (merc/audi/bmw)... part of that is because they can (charge more), part is because the parts are better/cost more to produce.

So, back to the original question on budget. If you are looking for new, then repair costs won't come in to affect until the warranty is out (of course!). A car out of warranty will still have Aust statutory warranty on things like drive train etc, but should be minimal repairs required. A 10 year old X5 will need more work done, especially if it has not had regular servicing. Things like hoses in the engine bay, front bushes, suspension parts etc could need replacing, all depending on how well it's been driven/looked after..

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    Compared to a local car (territory), yes, German cars will cost more to repair... Same as a toyota etc, they will be cheaper to service/repair than any German mark (merc/audi/bmw)... part of that is because they can (charge more), part is because the parts are better/cost more to produce.

So, back to the original question on budget. If you are looking for new, then repair costs won't come in to affect until the warranty is out (of course!). A car out of warranty will still have Aust statutory warranty on things like drive train etc, but should be minimal repairs required. A 10 year old X5 will need more work done, especially if it has not had regular servicing. Things like hoses in the engine bay, front bushes, suspension parts etc could need replacing, all depending on how well it's been driven/looked after..
    Hi thanks for your info, itís common sense to think obviously a car is at its best when it has been looked after properly, which of the BMW are still made in Germany and are reliable , I like the X5 as I drive a territory (SUV) however I also wouldnít mind a 5 series 6 cylinder in the diesel models. How reliable are they, how much does the average service cost. Thanks