Thread: New Bloke

Default New Bloke

G'day, new bloke and first time BMW owner. Picked up a pretty tidy X5 ( 2008 ) the other day. So far so good, very comfy drive, especially for someone who has only ever owned Landcruiser and Hilux 4wds in the past. I have to say that I normally wouldn't have looked sideways at owning a Beamer...., particularly a second hand one, and especially so in the Northern Territory with expensive servicing, parts and maintenance costs.
    But, I have an edge...... one of my sons is a leading BMW Tech in Darwin, worked almost 10 years for the local dealer, and was apprenticed to BMW Australia. So he has a few clues on cars and bikes and has the you beaut flash scan tool and access and contacts for spares/parts etc. So yeah, the X5 came up, we went over it thoroughly, did some haggling, and now I own it. Has the few little supermarket shopping trolley dings and scrapes as one would expect on a 10 year old vehicle, interior is spotless, regularly serviced at the Dealership ( my young blokes signature in the service book from the last service ) and was obviously looked after by the previous owner ( who has a new 2019 on order )
    So, see how it goes.....

Thanks

nice one and welcome!
    How much do you 'need/use' a 4wd up there, are you mainly normal road driving, then the occasional off road?
    We had a jeep (just sold) to tow a horse float for our daughter (long story!).. 99% of the time it was just used as a family car on normal roads, which is was great and very comfortable for (and more like a car than some of the other 4wd)..

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    nice one and welcome!
    How much do you 'need/use' a 4wd up there, are you mainly normal road driving, then the occasional off road?
    We had a jeep (just sold) to tow a horse float for our daughter (long story!).. 99% of the time it was just used as a family car on normal roads, which is was great and very comfortable for (and more like a car than some of the other 4wd)..
    Oh you can get away with just 2wd of course, but if you're into fishing, camping and Outback touring a 4wd is a must, if just for the ground clearance. I still have my Hilux, doubles as a tourer as well as a work ute. But yeah, in reality most people in town would be 90% tarmac/highway and 10% dirt/offroad.

Thanks

yeah, maybe should be called soft roaders :-)