Thread: 528i head gasket... is car ruined.

Unhappy 528i head gasket... is car ruined.

First post and need to draw on the wisdom of members. Bought a 2013 528i 6 weeks ago. Day 1 had a coolant leak and sloshing sound. Dealer took back to bmw. Apparently previous owner had issues with coolant. They replaced thermostat. Picked up car a week later drove 5 km and coolant warning came on. Leak showing again at same spot on hoses below coolant tank. Dealer took back to bam who replaced tank. 1 month later coolant warning again. Dealer took back to bmw who now advise itís a head gasket. I wonder is the car basically a lemon. If they fix the head gasket what else do they need to do. Should I just pursue full refund on the car. Itís my first bmw and I love so if you think it will be ok thatís great but I donít want a long term liability. Appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

50/50 on that one.. yes, could be a 'simple' head gasket issue, then you end up with a great car one fixed.

On the flip side, might replace head gasket and the cylinders are damaged, which they might not tell you. Pipes could have issues (due to coolant leak), and other associated issues.
    You could take it to an independent and see what they say. If in Sydney, European Autotech are experts, and will give you a no-bull diagnosis on the car..It might cost you a few $$$, but you will know where you stand...

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    50/50 on that one.. yes, could be a 'simple' head gasket issue, then you end up with a great car one fixed.

On the flip side, might replace head gasket and the cylinders are damaged, which they might not tell you. Pipes could have issues (due to coolant leak), and other associated issues.
    You could take it to an independent and see what they say. If in Sydney, European Autotech are experts, and will give you a no-bull diagnosis on the car..It might cost you a few $$$, but you will know where you stand...
    Thanks. The car is with Bmw in Brisbane and the repair is underway. Any thoughts on the sloshing sounds I could hear when going slow say over a speed hump? The car is beautiful so fingers crossed.