Thread: DIY Short Shifter Modification

Default DIY Short Shifter Modification

Building a Track car and decided to modify the standard shifter to get a shorter throw so here is what I did.

IMG_1029.jpg

You need to cut the original shifter up, you need the ball and bottom linkage part.

IMG_1034.jpg

Then you need to drill and tap the centre right through to accept the new shifter shaft which was Booker rod.

IMG_1036.jpg

Drilled and tapped to suit 12mm Booker rod.

IMG_1039.jpg

Tig welded the bottom linkage to the new rod.

IMG_1042.jpg

Then installed rod into pivot ball and turned up a lock nut, so now you have a standard shifter with an adjustable fulcrum below for short shifts.

The standard fulcrum length was approx 25mm below the pivot point. I adjusted this one to be approx 35-38mm, quite a short throw, any longer and it starts getting hard to cross the gates in the H pattern.

IMG_1040.jpg

Fulcrum measured from bottom of ball to centre of eye.

IMG_1033.jpg

While I was at it I decided to turn up some new bushes on my lathe, both for the linkage and the Bitch clip as pictured above.

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Thanks
    Blog Entries

very nice!

I wish I had a workshop with the gear. Last time I used a lathe was in school, I'm in my late 40's now!

I'm the same, in my late 40's, bought a second hand lathe a couple of years ago, best thing I've ever bought, all the school stuff suddenly starts coming back

Thanks
    Blog Entries

yeah, now I just need a big enough shed, and no kids (for the time to do the work!)

With a 4 year old, and a 15 year old, it seems I don't have any time to myself ever..