Thread: Coolant Temperature Gauge for E87

Thanks

Default Coolant Temperature Gauge for E87

Iíve been searching for a temperature gauge for my 120i 2010 E87 hatch, that is easy to connect, easy to read and not too expensive.
    Finally purchased one!
    Found it on E-bay, it was $85 delivered from China to Australia,

The system is called a "Digital Gauge 4 in 1 Auto Car Computer Scanner Tool"
    Here it is set up, simply connected to the OBD2, The gauge is attached by a velcro pad which can easily be removed.

The above is pic showing engine coolant reading (ECT) 34 degrees C, and voltage generated thru Battery at 13.8 volts

This Pic shows velcro gauge attachment wired to OBD

Although temp reading have not been verified, it indicates that I cruise at about 108 degrees C and thermostat must open at about 111 degrees C.
    I will be able to, in some way, check against my wife's car (120i 2005 E87 hatch).
    Also, there are a few other functions that I have to check out yet!.. Oxygen sensors, fuel pressure, mass air flow etc.
    BTW these readings check out with the "Hidden Menu" which is a pain in the ass to check on all the time
    RegardZ.

Thanks

nice one mate. Any special reason for needing to know the temps? Having any issues?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    nice one mate. Any special reason for needing to know the temps? Having any issues?
    My main reason for wanting a coolant Temp gauge is to know where I stand as regarding breakdowns!
    I have had many BMWs and I have found if you are not adequately warned you may have expensive repairs.. Blown head gasket, to name one.
    I recalled many times where a hose has burst, a water pump breaks down, a radiator leak or many of the other pending troubles a motorist can experience.
    Simple a red light is not good enough.
    I have found the moment my coolant goes over, say 112 degrees C, I have to take some precautions, be it, turn on the heater to put more cool water in the circuit, or plan my route to check out problem.
    With the gauge, I now I know it takes approx 6 km to warm up to operating temp, it cruises at about 105-109 degrees C. When stopped for a period in traffic the coolant temp goes to 112 (max) degrees C.
    I cannot understand BMW not equipping the car with a temperature gauge.
    Admittedly it has a "Hidden Menue" where you can muck about by putting in a code and find the the coolant temp, which is a laborious process.
    I believe on the later models (>2014) you can directly read out the temp on your console, with the press of a button.
    RegardZ
    Last edited by GarnZ; 31st July 2016 at 12:03 PM.