Thread: Black Dust from Brake Pads

Thanks

Default Black Dust from Brake Pads

Anyone any ideas on what pads to buy that don't give that black dust all over the alloys daily?
    Oh! I don't want squeal either. Not worried about extra wear on disk, as they alway want to replace them every time I talk about replacing pads.

Surely in this day and age there must be a better brake pad compound.
    Current car.. Bmw e87 auto (2010) hatch.

RegardZ.
    Last edited by GarnZ; 9th August 2015 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks

I'm currently using Bendix, but no matter what you get, they'll all cover your wheels in brake dust, best defence against brake dust is a good wheel cleaner and try not to brake really hard, it's easier in a manual, but I use the engine power to slow down most of the way before braking. Wheel cleaner, I really like Black Magic, but the forum sponsor has some you could try also.

As far as I'm aware, you don't need new discs when you change pads, but you do need new pads when you change the discs, I think your mechanic is trying to get more money out of you. Check your discs by feeling the edge of them (DO NOT DO THIS AFTER DRIVING, MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS COLD), if there's no substantial lip where the pad doesn't make it to the edge of the disc, the discs are fine.

As for squealing, that's normally caused by dirty brakes or warped discs. Try a good brake cleaner first and make sure whenever you get new discs to bed them in properly.

Thanks

+1 to all that cam said, Ive used black magic, armour all and meguiars cleaners and they all do the trick. That said, my wheels are fairly closed and never get that dirty from brake dust anyway. (some wheels will be really bad, some none at all). I also use Bendix pads no problems (euro plus). Another thing that causes squealing is the backing of the pad vibrating against the piston or caliper housing, either put in some backing plates (if the pads didnt already have some), smother the back in caliper lube or spray it with a squeal free compound (will come out kinda thick). Any of these will help isolate those vibrations and stop the whole thing making noise. Note that slotted or drilled rotors will probably squeal more than solid ones by adding more vibrations to the face of the pad

Thanks

Yeah, pads can make a huge difference. In our mazda cx-9 (family car!), we swapped to a unknown brand (service guys did it) and no dust at all.... However, really crap pads in my mind. The stopping 'type' is completely different. No feel at all, then a grab at the end with a sequel.... I've asked them to swap them out they are so lacking in feel... No dust however!