Thread: E30 Radiator Fan

Thanks

Question E30 Radiator Fan

Has anyone replaced the radiator fan in their E30 with an electric thermo fan? I'm looking to do this on mine to free up a bit of extra power and get better fuel economy (Also going to remove the belt for the A/C for the same reason) and I'm looking for any tips in doing so, advice, problems you ran into, etc.

Thanks

Cam93, have run without fan on a E39, they do need the cooling fan, if caught in traffic on hot day. I think there coolant capacity is cut to a minimum to save weight!
    From memory, you need a special thin spanner 27mm AF, I think (could be bigger).
    I believe the gain in economy will be negligible, better off driving, as so, you have an egg under the accelerator pedal!

With air conditioning off, the a/c clutch is not engaged, hence, not much loss of power.
    Perhaps the E30 may have a different system. Modern systems don't use much power.
    I can remember on older cars, where I would turn A/c off going up steep mountain climbs!

RegardZ

PS... May have misinterpreted the post ..... It might not be a difficult job to mount an after-market thermal fan, SORRY...I was thinking you were going to run without a fan!
    Not sure about a Bmw replacement.

Last edited by GarnZ; 3rd June 2015 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks

It's all good GarnZ, the plan was to remove the clutch fan and add a thermo fan that didn't draw its power from the engine. I found out the other day, it already does have an electric fan mounted on the front of the radiator although I can't seem to find any information about it being from the factory, although the mounts look pretty factory as they also hold the radiator in place. A friend of mine said he found out it turns on at 91 and goes to speed 2 at 97 degrees, however it doesn't seem to be turning on when the temp gauge is above half way so could be a sensor or wiring issue. I'll get the push fan running first, then I'll worry about removing the clutch fan later on.